This is going to be a long one...
Wednesday, December 20th – Michelle is in Orlando for work… Return flight to Denver is cancelled, but I don’t find out until I get to Orlando airport (I’ve been in Disney World bliss for the past 3 days)… BTW – the “aerosol can” the TSA thought they found in my carry-on bag turned out to be my curling iron…the guy repeatedly kept asking me if I had an aerosol can in my bag – I’m also very glad I had the foresight to put my underoos & such in a plastic Ziploc bag – didn’t really want his grubby paws feeling up my panties. I got rerouted thru Chicago, not supposed to get to LA until 1am… But I hop an earlier flight to Chicago (don’t think the full impact of Denver airport closing has been felt yet), and arrive way early in Chicago. So I spent a lot of time in O’Hare, a lot of time on cell phone complaining to listening recipients (ie, mom & dad)…found out my mom had pneumonia, and Christmas @ her house is cancelled – starting to get a bad feeling about this 2 week upcoming trip. I managed to get standby for a flight an hour earlier back to LA… Getting increasingly frustrated with myself because I should have packed for Nebraska/Puerto Rico before leaving for Orlando… L Meanwhile, because of the Denver-cancelled-flights debacle, I have Steve call United to reschedule our flights for the next day… We’re supposed to fly LA to Chicago to Lincoln – no flights available into Omaha until the 25th supposedly…
Thursday, December 21st – Michelle up early to pack & attempt to send some emails I’ve been delaying because I’ve been having too much fun in Orlando… It’s difficult to pack knowing you need winter clothes & very summery clothes… Still working 5 minutes before cab arrives, decide @ last minute I need to bring work laptop…so now we’re bringing 2 laptops w/us…but its ok, I have room in my carry-on wheely suitcase… Arrive @ LAX 2 hours, spend 1 hour waiting in line for boarding passes…this was even the premier member line (Steve has Premier Status w/United)… Get thru security w/no issues this time around, and proceed to wait to board the plane… We have the plane, we have a crew…O’Hare can’t handle the big 777 traffic since Denver traffic has been diverted to Chicago. We finally leave @ 2pm – 3 hours later than scheduled… But still OK because I have a window seat & Steve has an aisle – that’s what happens when you have 9 seats across w/2 aisles… First time I’ve been on a plane that big before, and I’ve flown quite a bit. Unfortunately, repeat performance of some of the in-flight programming (that’s what happens when you fly a lot in a short time period). Arrive in Chicago after 3.5 hour flight (quick!), only to find our flight to Lincoln has been cancelled. Very foggy in Chicago (we didn’t know we were landing until we hit the ground), so the little CRJ plane to go to Lincoln couldn’t make it thru the fog. Deplane & we go a gate with the next flight to Omaha. Get put on standby, are told there are about 100 people on standby for the flight…but wait! Steve is Premier, w/good status…about 5 minutes later, we are called back up to get boarding passes that should have belonged to other people if the flying world was perfect. But alas, other folks missed their flight to Omaha, and we bumped ahead of the waiting masses. We arrive around 10pm to the familiar Eppley airport…and wait for our bags…and wait…and wait… Bags didn’t make it; understandable since we got placed on the flight about 10 minutes after deplaning the previous flight… Are told the bags will arrive in Lincoln, their original destination, tomorrow. Not too worried,k we packed coats & warm clothes in our carry-on suitcases.
Friday, December 22nd – Buzz around Omaha for a bit, then head to Lincoln airport to pick up our bags…only they weren’t there…no flights to Lincoln today, still foggy in Chicago. Head to visit w/Abbie and decide to spend night in Lincoln w/her & Sean, so we can check airport for our bags again the next day. Spend $60 @ Shopko on toiletries substitutes for those packed in the lost bags. Good food, then we went to a country western bar – Uncle Ron’s – for live music & cheap drinking. Get Steve to ride the mechanical bull – he didn’t last long the 4 times he tried. Also did a shot w/Uncle Ron… Poor Steve drove the drunk people back to Abbie’s house.
Saturday, December 23rd – Wake up, go to airport. No bags! So went to hang out w/my sick mother for a while, getting mauled by Squirt, the world’s most attention-hog cat EVER! Go back to airport again, still no bags. Are told the bags are on a truck to Lincoln…hmmm, didn’t they know about this earlier??? Guess not…they will call us when bags get in. Head to Clay Center… I’m not happy, I have no Christmas presents to give to people…I love giving presents, and I think I’m a pretty good gift giver!
Sunday, December 24th – Christmas Eve – Kennedy Christmas, lotsa people in the house… Yummy ham & turkey to eat! No gifts to give, only some to receive… Lincoln Airport’s United ticket counter is not accepting phone calls re: status of the truck w/our baggage. We head back to Bellevue earlier than intended, in order to stop by the Lincoln airport one more time on our way thru. Steve gets in line to ask about bag status, but I look around…and spot the black suitcase w/neon orange strap labeled “FOX.” One bag is here! “Steve – our bag!” I cry out in glee! Look around, find the other bag w/its neon orange strap behind a counter. Call back to Clay Center to let them know of the Christmas Eve miracle. Not even that irritated United failed to call us to let us know the bags made it to Lincoln. Go back to Mom’s house to give her & Rob their gifts. Go to Bellevue, participate in a present wrapping session. Went to Christmas Eve “midnight mass” as Steve calls it (though service is @ 11pm, in the no-mass-allowed Lutheran Church) – I almost fall asleep, I’m worn out by the traveling and the stress.
Monday, December 25th – Christmas Day – I’m finally the last person to awake for the present opening (I’ve been the first before) – the Fox people are waiting for me to start the paper shredding that accompanies the gift giving. I get my custom-built monogrammed huge zippered tote bag – yay! Good eats again – more ham, but I’m loving it! Proceed to play 4 hour game of Spades – only one hand. Steve & I finally win, putting an end to the torture of the long game.
Tuesday, December 26th – Head down to Auburn for lunch w/Grandma & Grandpa Den. Mom not there, she doesn’t want to get Grandpa sick, though she’s feeling better. But Auntie Holly, Uncle PeeWee, and Ami are there, along with the new, adorable-but-not-so-potty-trained schnauzer puppy named Gus. Holly & Ami look weary, seems the new puppy is a lot of work… Head back to Bellevue, then leave again right away. I drop Steve @ Brandon’s apartment, where the boys proceed to spend a lot of time hooking up Brandon’s 60” plasma & Bose surround sound. I head to Millard to meet up w/Carrie, and some of my college girlfriends (and any boys they brought w/them) for dinner & some bar hopping in downtown Omaha. Leave early, walking 2.5 blocks in downtown Omaha by myself…night & day difference between LA, I probably wouldn’t do that there!! Go to Brandon & Christy’s, hang for a bit, then go to sleep.
Wednesday, December 27th – Head to Lincoln (again!) to meet up w/Dad & Jim for lunch…have a good meal, and give out presents. Jim doesn’t know yet, but I’m also going to mail him a bottle of Puerto Rican rum as part of his gift. Say goodbye, go to Bellevue to repack suitcases. Put Steve’s suit & my nice dress in carry-on, lest the baggage doesn’t make it to Puerto Rico. I’m nervous about this, as Jöelle & Gabe always seem to have difficulties.
Thursday, December 28th – Fly all day! Omaha to Chicago. Chicago to Washington-Dulles. Dulles to San Juan. 10pm before we finally arrive. Call Gabe, they’re just starting to eat meal for rehearsal dinner (apparently rehearsal ran way late @ church). Steve & I change shirts in airport, get our bags (they make it!), and hop a taxi to Condado area of San Juan. After a completely scary ride (PR taxi drivers make LA taxi drivers look sane!), we arrive underdressed @ rehearsal dinner in our jeans. Oh well, we’re happy to make it. Arrive @ hotel around 1am, fall into bed.
Friday, December 29th – Wake up way late, can’t get a hold of the other Americans in the hotel, Shannon/Cory/Kristy (now will be abbreviated at SCK). Decide not to worry, walk outside in search of food. Sit down about 5 minutes before a rain storm. Chill back in hotel (I take a nap), and get random call. We need to take a taxi to Gabe’s parents house. Apparently they called us several times today, but our cells never rang…Cingular doesn’t work that well I guess, though we called out just fine. Take taxi, and remember we’ve missed the dancing lessons earlier this afternoon. L Go to Joelle’s parents house for a BBQ Puerto Rican style. The house is beautiful, the people are nice, food is fantastic, and the alcohol is free-flowing...makes for a great party!
Saturday, December 30th – Joelle & Gabe’s wedding day! We wake up & head to pool w/SCK. Drink @ bar for lunch! Then we get ready (I take forever), and take taxi to church. We already know the invitation says wedding starts @ 3:30…we arrive @ 3:45. But its OK, we’ve been warned the invitation time is padded for “Puerto Rican” time…the couple is well aware everyone arrives late to a wedding. The intended start time is 4:00. Actual start time is around 4:20ish. Sit thru shortened Catholic mass (Gabe not practicing Catholic), but don’t understand anything, as its entirely in Spanish. Probably a good thing, not able to get emotional because I don’t understand the words…Shannon’s makeup is also saved. Get ride to reception w/Gabe’s father, “Quixano” as he is known. He’s a crack-up…also a very fast driver. We somehow make it to reception before lots of other people, despite stop @ gas station for Tylenol. Hehe, we also are treated to the “I’m the father of Groom” mentality, when Quixano butts in front of the line for valet parking. Cocktail hour features sangria (wine, fruit, 7up drink = AMAZING!), which runs out much too fast…I only had 3 glasses! Receiving line opens, BTW Joelle is gorgeous in her dress, and Gabe doesn’t look so bad himself in his tux. Very elegant reception area, with crazy beautiful flower/candle table arrangements. The dancing begins after great dinner, I’m slightly intimidated, don’t want to salsa dance because I don’t remember the stops very well, and don’t want to embarrass myself in front of the Puerto Ricans, who know how to salsa. Fun surprise of New Year’s Eve masks, and other party favors under the table – kicks the party up to a whole new level! We end up leaving, completely exhausted, around 1am.
Sunday, December 31st – New Year’s Eve & Happy Anniversary! – Another late start, but Joelle & Gabe join us on an expedition to Old San Juan. We eat an unnecessarily long lunch (very slow & aloof waiter), and then trek up to El Morro, the big castle/fort (we missed the other fort, San Cristobol). We got inside & walk around the huge and very old fort for a while (pretty cool!), then head back into Old San Juan. We walk to the Door to the city, where we learn about the “Save a Gato” program. There are tons of feral cats in the city, just lounging around the Old San Juan area. It was crazy, they were everywhere!! Walk again, only to find that the Coach outlet store is closed…Joelle & I are sorely disappointed! We head back to hotel, where Joelle & Gabe leave to catch some family New Years Eve parties. We get Subway, the only food place open. We have all decided $175/person is not going to be worth it for New Years parties, and decide to drink in the hot tub instead. J&G make it back to hotel in just enough time for midnight and the fireworks across the lagoon. I’m just a little tipsy by the end of the night & completely exhausted. We walk past the scantily clad women in the hotel wrapped in our sexy blue pool towels…but we had way more fun on $45 of alcohol by the pool!
Monday, January 1st – New Year’s Day – Early start this morning (9am), as we rented a car w/SCK to drive to El Yunque, the Puerto Rican rainforest. After a few wrong turns, and several animal spottings which included a horse on the side of the road, a cow on the side of the road, some chickens, and a dog which chased the car, we finally found the rain forest. We walked a slippery trail down to the La Mira waterfall, and walked back up the trail. We drove around a bit more, and stopped at the other waterfall, La Cosa. We then attempted to drive to the beach near the bottom of the rainforest. After finding part of the beach closed (closed!!), we drove thru a sketchy area and finally found a beach. I love looking at the clear blue water of the Caribbean! We drove back, I took my afternoon nap, and then Steve & I ate dinner alone @ the Italian restaurant in the hotel (kind of like Olive Garden – not sure if it counts as our anniversary dinner??). Early night, we gotta get up early in the morning!
Tuesday, January 2nd – Early morning, shuttle around 8:20 to take us back to northeast side of island to hop a catamaran for a snorkeling trip. We went to an island off the coast of Puerto Rico, and pulled in for a practice snorkel, while the boat crew set up lunch. I'm not that into it yet, and have huge issues trying to figure out the snorkel mask. So I give up & sunbathe on top of the catamaran. Lunch was decent, but then it rained on us - cold rain, so had to duck under the shelter of the catamaran lunch setup area. Then Kristy & I decide to hop back in the water for fun after the rain stops...and we got attacked by these nasty little flies!! They were everywhere, in our hair, all over our bodies. The first mate dude then informs us afterwards these things always come out after it rains! :( We finally move to the real snorkel spot, which isn't all that far away from the lunch spot, just we aren't docked by the beach. I get out, and it takes quite a while, but I finally get the hang of the snorkel mask & enjoy myself. There were so many different kinds of fish!! So much better than trying to snorkel off Catalina in Cali!! I would have gotten a water camera, but you need a lot of light, very colorfish fish that swim close to the surface for that to be real effective... So my memory will have to serve me, and me only. Kristy threw in bread while we were in the water, and I freaked a little, and moved away from the feeding frenzy. Oh well... Fun boat ride back, and Steve & I headed (dirty ocean bodies and clothes) to the Coach store in Old San Juan that was closed when we were there the other day. Didn't score a real great find, just got a cute little change purse thingy. I have bigger Coach plans in the back of my mind! We ran back into S/C/K when we got to the hotel, and they agreed to hit a restaurant bar, and wait for us for dinner. We ran up to our room...and couldn't get in...there was something wrong with the door. So Steve ran to get new keys, which still didn't work... Fortunately, security was on our floor because of the rooms had a pipe burst in the bathroom (and was leaking thru the floor to Tony Roma's below), and let us in. We took amazingly quick showers, especially considering the decreased water pressure due to the burst pipe, and then met up with S/C/K for the last supper in Puerto Rico for all of us. Amazing food, and the best sangria yet! We went back to pack a little, and went to sleep early...
Wednesday, January 3rd - Got up to head to the airport for our flights on US Airways (booked thru United, but they're Star Alliance partners, so we're on this flight instead). Get thru security, and head toward Duty Free to buy the rum we need to bring back w/us. Apparently can bring as much rum back as we can carry, since PR is US commonwealth. Get on the plane, get settled in...and wait on the runway for an hour. Seems the plane has the noseguard steering system malfunction. Maintenance can't fix, we get hauled back to the gate. Still sit on plane while they turn plane off fully to see if the computers just need a reboot. No such luck. Flight is cancelled & US Air can't get another plane to San Juan in an efficient manner (it is quite a ways from their nearest hub, I image). Steve & I don't panic completely, we'll just get a new flight, since we're good @ that. He leaves me in the terminal to babysit the rum, while he heads out to get our bags & rebook us on a new flight. Steve is a smart fella, and ahead of the curve...so he calls United while waiting for the bags & rebooks over the phone, so he doesn't fight the crowds @ the ticket counter. We get booked on a flight to Washington-Dulles for that afternoon, and then connect on flight to LA. Fantastic! Steve goes thru 1st class line @ US Air ticket counter so we can get released from the US Air flights & get the $20 meal voucher they're providing for the hassle we're experiencing. He made things easy for them by letting United do all the rebooking work. He finally makes it back thru security - I'm fairly certain the TSA people in Puerto Rico slowly scan each bag to play "let's figure out what everyone has in their bag" and only get 1 person thru each line per minute...lotsa hassle. But easy for Steve the 2nd time around, since he doesn't have anything to bring in the terminal with him. Eat our last PR meal (with a mojito of course!), and get the plane to Dulles, and connect to LA. The flight to LA was slightly interesting, because I'm fairly certain the dude sitting behind us decided to smoke in the lavatory, and the flight attendant attempted to (unsuccessfully) coax a confession out of the man. Don't mess w/flight attendants!! We finally made it home, in a scary LA cab (but not as scary as in Puerto Rico)...to our relieved kitties.
PS: I'm fairly certain those nasty little fly bites from the snorkel trip have given me mosquito bite-like itches all over my body, and they haven't gone away, and its been days! Ouchy!!
0 people left me some love:
Post a Comment