So there is a reversible purse tutorial available online - 2 slightly different variations, one from Martha and one from All People Quilt (and now I can't find the link to the pattern...grrr...). I printed the template from the APQ version, because I didn't have to enlarge the page to put the template together...just a bunch of paper & taped it together. Then I cut out the pieces for 2 bags from my $18/yard Echino Nico fabric, and got to work. APQ suggests adding a layer of batting with the lining, so I thought "what the hell?" and decided to actually quilt it, adding a layer of muslin to the back (BTW, did the quilting first then cut the template). Then the directions between Martha & APQ differ.
So I followed Martha's directions, sewed up the sides, but not all the way up for both lining & outside. And I sewed along the tops of the handles. Then disaster hit...sewing the lining & outside together. The smaller strap handle wouldn't fit around the bottom part of my machine, so I had to sew it upright (I don't know if this makes sense), which was difficult. Then I figured out I shouldn't have sewed the tops of the handles (APQ instructions coming in here) because I wasn't able to turn the handles once I got the lining & outside partially sewn together. Out came the seam ripper...pulled out the top seams and the unstitched a bit down the side where the lining & outside were sewn together. Then I could turn the handles, re-sew the tops together, and stitch the outside to lining AGAIN. I was able to successfully sew together the "neck" of the bag and topstitch. But again, topstitching the outside of the little handle was considerably difficult.
Honestly, this is probably the worse bag I've put together so far...the instructions seem deceptively simple, and need to be much more detailed. If you are going to attempt this one, I would go with APQ's instructions, they seemed to get you on the right track (if you can figure them out). Has anyone in bloggy land managed to make this bag successfully 1st try??? A more detailed tutorial would be great...
Anywho, here is the lining side of the bag...the outside shall remain only a hint, otherwise the recipient will know she is the recipient based on the fabric.
2 people left me some love:
I have the APQ pattern on my to do list...I'll watch out!
I am doing alot of bags myself go to www.bejeweledquilts.blogspot.com and see
Post a Comment