CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Walking in a Spiderweb...

...leave a message and I'll call you back...

I've been wondering about these spiderweb blocks, since that seems to be one of the new trends floating around the blogland quilters these days, including ones being done for another virtual quilting bee, Block Party. One of the peeps in Pieced Together is polling to see if we'd be interested in putting these together for her month; I decided it was time to try one out.


I wasn't overly concerned about getting this perfect (or even changing the orientation of the photo in this post - lol!). The tutorial recommends you use a glue stick to tack down the center fabric; I didn't do this, as I didn't have a glue stick (must look @ work tomorrow). So I think this led to a little bit of shifting, which is why my seams aren't quite matchy-matchy where the pieceing begins. And I didn't bother to switch to a heftier needle, which I agree would have punched the paper even more and made easier to remove. But other than, it really wasn't difficult, and I could definitely see myself doing something like this again. It probably took me an hour to do the block, but that time also included cutting the templates and running back & forth between the kitchen (where the iron lives) and the spare bedroom (where my sewing machine lives). Plus, I was trying not to disturb the homework process:

I'm going to call it a success! But now, what to do with that block??

5 people left me some love:

Sara said...

Great job, Michelle!
Last month was the 1st time I had tried paper piecing and I used the same spiderweb tutorial.
Maybe you could make a pillow cover out of the block you made?
What size did it come out to be?

As of this morning, I am leaning heavily towards this pattern for my month (march) in the Pieced Together Quilting Bee. Of course, that may change once I go fabric shopping!

Well done!

Darci said...

It looks great. I think you need to make yourself more so that you can make them into a quilt for you!

MichelleB said...

I love the block. Looks like lots of Full Moon Forest fabric. I think you should make some more blocks and make pillow covers!

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

It looks great! And I keep thinking of that song, too, with all the posts everywhere about spiderwebs! :)

Purple and Paisley said...

i'm really wanting to try those spiderweb blocks...i think they look great!