CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 26, 2009

The Curious Case of the Foxy Weekend

The working title of this post is "Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times? "



We FINALLY went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button this weekend for date night - I've been wanting to see this for a while now. Partly because of the strangeness of the story, partly because of the Oscar buzz, and mostly because Brad Pitt is one of the guys who lives on my island (my fantasy hot guy island). Plus, I LOVE Cate Blanchett - she's such a cameleon (she sort of freaks Steve out though - he says it's the eyes, I say it's just the crazy eyes in LOTR - see below).

But whatever, I always think she is great. And designer extraordinaire Heather Bailey had mentioned the scene with the red dress, and I sort of gasped in recognition when it came on!

I really enjoyed this movie, although based on the other movies in contention for honors this awards season, I can't say I'm surprised CCoBB hasn't won a whole lot - those awards tend to go to the movies without the large-scale mass appeal (except for Titanic & LOTR: Return of the King).

We also helped Circuit City liquidate some inventory this weekend. Steve bought a new receiver in anticipation of receiving his bonus from work at the end of this week. And I decided we should get a really inexpensive 19" LCD TV with HD Tuner. We're in the process of getting rid of our cable TV, and just watching network TV via HD antennae streaming from the desktop. The bedroom TV was originally going to be left out of this plan, since we had a small 13" one we bought with wedding gift money 4 years ago that had no such HD tuner. But now, this problem is going to be rectified with the additional purchase of another $40 HD antennae. I think we'll end up saving almost $1000 per year without cable, so we make up the cost of all these purchases in a very short amount of time. I hope I survive - I don't think I've EVER not had cable, so this will be tough on me. But we mostly watch the major networks, and we'll still be able to get those, so I think I'll be OK. Plus, the xbox interface with Netflix is amazing, so I can always find something to watch in my queue there.

On the crafty front, I have half of a new quilt quilted (wow, that seems poorly worded - "have half" and "quilt quilted"). I figured I better run with my mojo while it's still around. But...that doesn't mean I actually pieced together a new top...I took a cute yard of cheater cloth fabric I got a while back (and I can't remember what it is @ the moment, I need to look @ the selvedge again - but I definitely saw it in the newest Hancocks Paducah catalog) and used a white/black yard of Deb Strain's Daydream fabric for the backing. I'm going to practice making a quillow for our living room, in prep for the baby girlie quilts that are ready to be pieced.

Ok, time to go back to work - boo hoo me!

2 people left me some love:

jimbobvaquero said...

After watching Ben Button, I thought to myself "I'm getting too young for this shit."

Beth said...

I agree about Netflix and XBOX, although I really wish I didn't have to select them on the laptop first and add them to the queue. Waiting for the day when I can select and watch straight from our XBOX!